ActiveSync devices - mobile devices such as iPhones, iPads, Android phones and tablets - can cause undue strain on our Exchange environment. OneNet may disable the ActiveSync service for an account that has an associated device causing the issue. The account will receive a notification email similar to the example below:
"Your phone won't be able to synchronise with the server via Exchange ActiveSync because of an access policy defined on the server."
If I receive this notification, what steps must I take?
The mailbox owner will need to:
- Remove the Exchange account from the device.*
- Update the software on the device, including the operating system and apps.
- De-clutter the mailbox and confirming that each folder has less than 5000 items. Please refer to Hosted Exchange > Outlook > Item Count in Folders
- Resolve any corruption of mailbox data by running SCANPST.EXE for the mailbox. Please refer to Hosted Exchange > Outlook > Inbox Repair Tool ~ SCANPST.EXE
- Submit a request to the Service Desk to re-enable ActiveSync on the account. The Service Desk team will confirm that the steps above have been followed before re-enabling the account.
*How do I remove the account from the device?
- iPhone: In "Settings", click "Mail, Contacts, Calendars", select the Exchange account, and then click "Delete Account".
- Android: In "Email", click the menu icon, click "Accounts", tap and hold the Exchange account, and then select "Remove".