The Inbox Repair Tool SCANPST.EXE can repair corrupted Personal Folders .pst and Outlook Data .ost files. This is helpful if:
- There are errors in importing data from a .pst file.
- The .ost file is large - bigger than 5 GB - and would take a long time to recreate.
How do I run SCANPST.EXE?
- If Outlook is open, close it.
- As SCANPST.EXE is a hidden file, confirm that "Show hidden files and folders" is enabled in Folder options: click the start icon, open Control Panel, double-click "Folder Options", select the "View" tab, then under "Hidden files and folders" confirm that "Show hidden files, folders and drives" is selected, and click "OK".
- Search for SCANPST.EXE on the computer: click the start icon, and type "scanpst.exe" in the search box.*
- Double-click on SCANPST.EXE, click "Browse" to select the corrupted .pst file, and click "Start". Then, SCANPST.EXE will begin scanning the .pst file.
- If any errors are reported, click "Repair".
- Please note that you may need to run SCANPST.EXE several times - around 5 to 8 times - until it returns no errors.
*How do I locate SCANPST.EXE manually?
If you cannot search for SCANPST.EXE, try locating it manually:
64-bit Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8
- drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE15
- drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE14
- drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12
32-bit Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8
- drive:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
- drive:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
- drive:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
- drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\
- drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\NT
- drive:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033